Just like a newborn, we need to introduce each new oil to our body gradually to identify potential allergies or sensitive skin issues. Start with the high end of dilution ratio and slowly work your way up. As your get to understand your oil better, you will be able to gauge which oil can be used as neat, but if it gives a stingy sensation then you know you have gone overboard. Always remember a little oil goes a long way. General guide is to dilute between 2.5% – 5%. However, it can be increased to 10% or more for treatment work and localised serious condition.
The dilution guide below can be found in our ‘Blend Your Own‘ page.
General Safety Precautions
- Keep all essential oils out of reach of children and pets.
- Do not use photosensitizing essential oils (citrus essential oils) within 24 hours prior to going into a sun tanning booth or the sun.
- Avoid prolonged use of the same essential oils.
- Avoid the use of undiluted essential oils on the skin.
- To further dilute if a certain blend is causing skin irritation.
- Keep essential oils away from the eyes.
- If essential oil droplets accidentally get into the eye, use carrier oil on a cotton bud and carefully swiped over the closed lid before flushing the eyes with cool water
- Essential oils are highly flammable substances and should be kept away from direct contact with flames. Do not use essential oil under risk of contacting with direct open fire.
- If an essential oil causes dermal irritation, apply a small amount of carrier oil and discontinue use of essential oil.
- If a child appears to have drunk several spoonfuls of essential oil, contact your doctor or the emergency line 999. Keep the bottle for identification and encourage the child to drink milk. Do not try to induce vomiting.