Hand, foot and mouth disease (HFMD) is a viral infection that causes a rash or blisters on the hands and feet, as well as in or around the mouth.
HFMD mainly affects children under the age of 10, but can also affect adolescents. It spreads easily from one person to another. It is possible to contract the virus more than once, but the symptoms will be less severe.
Signs and symptoms of HFMD
Symptoms usually start 3 to 7 days after becoming infected and can last from seven to 10 days. If your child has HFMD, they may feel tired, have a fever, and have a rash.
The blisters should not be itchy like chickenpox blisters. If your child has eczema, the HFMD can cause eczema to worsen and potentially become infected with bacteria.
HFMD is a viral infection hence antibiotics do not work and are not given to children with HFMD but there are ways you can care for your child at home to ease discomfort as well as reducing infection to others
If your child is in pain or is uncomfortable, try
For milder HFMD
- Lavender or Cedarwood – soothing, calming and helps with sleeping
- Copaiba – discomfort and pain relief
- Tea Tree or Rosalina – helps heal rash and blister
For the more serious HFMD
- Chamomile Roman – soothing, calming, helps with sleeping and may help reduce fever (serious case)
- Helichrysum – discomfort and pain relief
- Manuka – helps heal rash and blister
- Or you could try our ‘Healing V’ available in 15ml concentrate, 15ml diluted and Mini V 3ml